November 27, 2010

T-day!!!

Tuesday, the 9th was transfer day.  I was nervous now.  I hadn't had any nervous feelings up until this point.  Lots of things were running through my head, but I made sure to keep them positive.  I truly believe that if you have ANY reservations about it, it's not going to work.  I didn't have reservations, but more questions.  Would it hurt?  Would 1 or 2 implant?  (they transferred 2 embryo's.)  When would I start testing to know?

R&C picked me up from the hotel around 11:30.  The clinic told us to be there at 1pm.  We decided to grab a light lunch at Panera before we headed over.  It was hard for me to eat.  My stomach was in knots and all I could think about was the transfer.  I managed to scarf down half a sandwich and an apple.  I tried to drink a bunch of water because they told me to come with a full bladder.

When we arrived at the clinic I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork.  I was shaking during this.  I'm not sure why, but I was just so anxious!  About 30 minutes later, they called me back.  R & C got up and asked if they were to come as well and the nurse looked at me as to ask "Is that okay?" and I said "yes, they're coming".  We walked into this small pre-op room.  The nurse took my vitals, had me take my meds, and told me to drink 2 full glasses of water.  WHAT??  I had already drank a bunch and needed to pee soooo bad.  I told her I'd drink one.  They were very serious about EVERYTHING.  I mean, yes, it's a serious matter, but wow!!  I went into the restroom to undress from the waste down and put on a gown, then wrap a blanket around myself.  I came out and R & C were in scrubs from head to toe!!!  HAHAHA!  It was great!  We took pictures, had some laughs, etc.  The nurses were still very serious and didn't understand what we found so humerus about the situation.  (We were wearing blue head scrubs for goodness sake!)  A new nurse came and walked me to the operating room.  (Yes, it was an ACTUAL operating room.)  I'd never experienced this before.  Very interesting.  I was instructed to get on the OR table and place my butt near the opening in the middle of the table.  NOT in it!  Just near it.  Then a nurse placed my feet in metal stirrups.  (I still had the blanket on, thank goodness!)  R & C were instructed to stand behind me by my head.  (also good!)

We finally got to meet the Doctor!  Very friendly guy.  He told R & C about their embryos.  He then picked the two best looking ones, one of R's, and one of C's.  2 lab guys went to go retrieve the embryos.  This took about 5 minutes but felt like an eternity, as I lay there with my feet in stirrups, two guys at my head, 3 nurses at my feet, a Doctor on a chair and my lady parts all out for the world to see.  (They could have at least covered me up until the embies were ready!!  Sheesh!)

The embies were finally here!  The lab guy brought them in, and the doctor used the long, needle like thing to insert them into my uterus!  Totally NOT painful at all.  I barely felt a thing.  We got to watch on the ultrasound monitor to see the catheter going in and releasing the embies.  Obviously they were too small to actually see on the monitor but he showed us the air bubble which was the vicinity of where the embies were released.  Then I was done!  (or so I thought.)  They closed me up (haha) and I lay on the table for another few minutes.  Two or three nurses then transferred me to a hospital bed.  (God knows I couldn't move on my own!!  I'd just been operated on!)  They then wheeled me to the "post-op" room where a nurse took my vitals.  R & C stayed with me the whole time and I'm so happy they did.  I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

In the post-op room, I was to lay flat for 30-45 minutes.  The guys and I talked.  We just chit chatted.  Suddenly my face started to feel really warm, which was weird because the rest of me was cold.  I asked the guys if my face was red.  They said yes and it was probably because they had my bed at a decline!  Bwahahaha!!! Obviously they wanted to make sure the embies didn't try to get out! (or fall out?)  I love that R & C found this as hilarious as I did.  After I was done "resting", I was told I could get up, put my clothes back on, and go to the bathroom (WHAT?!  They let me PEE??)  So I did that.  As I walked out of the bathroom to leave, I was scolded by a nurse that I was NOT to walk.  There stood a man with a wheelchair.  I was to be wheeled to the car.  The man with the wheelchair made sure they drove the car right up to me as I was not to take one step.  Wow.  SO, the guys drove me back to my hotel where I rested for the next 24 hours or so without getting up, except to pee.  That was fun!  (not!)




We were instructed that I was to be on strict bed-rest for 3 days, then light bed rest following until I got a positive beta (blood) test.

No comments:

Post a Comment